Location: 40 S. Gay St. History: According to gsa.gov, Congress established the U.S. Customs Service as the first federal agency and named Baltimore as one of 59 collection districts in 1789. Constructed in 1816-1820, the Merchant's Exchange Building housed the Customs Service through the end of the 19th century. Construction was completed on a newer Custom House in 1907. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
Amy Davis, Baltimore Sun