Baltimore Sun photo by Amy Davis
February 27, 2009
Henry M. Miller, Director of Research, and Timothy Riordan, Chief Archaeologist, walk the grounds where there were outside burials. A reconstruction of the 1667 Brick Chapel by the Historic St. Mary's City Foundation is nearing completion, on the site where the first brick Jesuit chapel stood. The first English Catholic chapel, a symbol of the freedom of religion that was pioneered in Maryland, has been recreated based on extensive research, using some records but mostly archaeological research and review of contemporaneous Jesuit chapels that have survived.