A gas leak in Glen Burnie caused the temporary evacuation of about a dozen residents and left nine homes without gas Wednesday evening, Anne Arundel County fire officials said.
A fire department spokesman said Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. would likely restore gas to the nine affected homes by the end of Wednesday, and that the residents had all made arrangements to stay elsewhere overnight.
The 6-inch gas line in the 500 block of Delmar Avenue was accidentally ruptured about 4 p.m. when contractors were working to fix a water main break, BGE officials said.
About 40 homes were in the area affected by the gas leak, but many residents had not returned home from work at that point and only about a dozen had to be taken to a nearby gym to stay warm for a few hours, a fire official said. The area is no longer under an evacuation order.
twitter.com/cwellssunCopyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun