Anne Arundel County Executive Laura Neuman apologized to county employees Thursday morning after 10 of them received emails to their government accounts asking for donations to her campaign.
In an email sent to all county employees, Neuman said some employees "may have inadvertently" received the campaign emails.
"Your name may have been identified through a database of previous campaign volunteers or donors. If you received this email, I sincerely apologize," Neuman wrote.
"It is no secret that I am running for office, but I do not want any of our employees to feel compelled in any way to support or endorse my campaign," Neuman wrote in her email Thursday.
Linda West, a spokeswoman for Neuman, said 10 employees received the campaign email. She said Neuman has since asked the county's information technology staff to block her campaign accounts. In an interview, Neuman said she's not sure how the employees got on her email list but wanted to prevent it from happening again.
"When I first heard about the email that went out, I didn't feel we had done something wrong, but I wanted to make clear that no one should feel a sense of obligation," she said.
Neuman's campaign email was sent Wednesday afternoon and urged supporters to donate to the campaign. The email said campaign volunteers would be willing to pick up donations in person. Wednesday was the deadline for donations that will be reported on campaign finance reports due next week.
Neuman has not officially filed paperwork to run for county executive but she does have a campaign committee. The deadline to file as a candidate is Feb. 25.
She is facing Del. Steve Schuh in the Republican primary. The only Democratic candidate so far is Joanna Conti, who ran for the post unsuccessfully in 2010.