Don’t miss the ultimate foodie event, The Baltimore Sun's Secret Supper

Trial delayed for man charged in 2008 Annapolis murder

The trial for an immigrant from Honduras accused of fatally shooting a rival in the prostitution business in Annapolis in 2008 was delayed Wednesday.

Kerlin Esau Esquivel Fuentes, 26, is accused of killing Ricardo Humberto Rivas-Ramirez and wounding a woman in Annapolis in 2008.

He is charged with first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder.

Anne Arundel Circuit Court Judge Paul A. Hackner granted a postponement of the trial "with great regret" on Wednesday morning, the day the trial was scheduled to open.

Hackner noted that more than 100 jurors were called to court and two interpreters were hired for a trial that was expected to last two weeks.

Rivas-Ramirez was found dead in a 2002 Cadillac near the intersection of Tyler Avenue and Janwall Street on Sept. 13, 2008, Annapolis police said at the time. Residents had reported hearing shots fired at about 12:30 a.m., police said.

Rivas-Ramirez, who was 34 and living in Silver Spring, was pronounced dead at the scene, according to police. A woman in the vehicle who also was shot was treated at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

Fuentes is serving 235 months — nearly 20 years — in federal prison after being sentenced in U.S. District Court in September of sex trafficking and conspiracy related to interstate prostitution, according to court records. He has appealed the conviction.

Fuentes — who was prosecuted in federal court under the name Kevin Garcia Fuertes and has used the alias "Flaco" — was accused of working with co-defendant German de Jesus Ventura to run brothels in Annapolis and Easton between 2008 and 2010.

Fuentes' public defender, Karl Gordon, told Hackner he had not received from prosecutors all of the transcripts he requested from the federal case. Some of the witnesses are the same in both cases, including an Annapolis Police detective who investigated both cases, Gordon said.

The murder case already has been delayed twice while the federal case was resolved.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad