Anne Arundel County fire officials blamed an early Tuesday morning fire on used fireworks placed in a trash can in the home's garage.
Firefighters called around 12:15 a.m. to a two-story house in the 200 block of Providence Road in the Mulberry Hills area of Annapolis arrived to find flames coming from the garage, which had two vehicles in it, according to Division Chief Keith D. Swindle.
He said 29 firefighters from the county, Annapolis city and Naval Academy brought the fire under control in about 30 minutes. Damage was estimated to be about $250,000, and the three residents of home escaped, he said. He said firefighters did not know if smoke detectors in the home were working.
"Legal ground-based fireworks that were used were placed in a trash can with combustibles," Swindle said. "They probably still had hot spots or sparks in them, and then lit whatever was in the trash can."
Twitter.com/andsiegelCopyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun