"Ours is a family and children parade, so their participation — whether they're in the Annapolis Drum and Bugle Corps or on a float — we enjoy having them in our parades," she said.
City officials said that once the police investigation is concluded, they would review safety precautions and regulations governing such events. Cohen said that, among the issues to be considered, officials would determine whether rules regarding the age of participants should be implemented.
"We've never had an incident like this," LeFurge said. "This really is a tragedy that no one could have foreseen. But it is a tragedy we'll be looking at and learning from."
Cohen also said that the review, to be completed before the end of summer, would be a "balancing act."
"It's traditional all across America that in a parade, people stand in the back of a pickup truck and wave. They do things that are normally not permitted," he said. "No one wants to overreact to what appears to be a tragic freak accident, but at the same time, we have to look closely at what happened and take steps to reduce the risk of something similar happening."
So far this year, five parades have been permitted in the state capital. In addition to the main Independence Day parade in downtown Annapolis, permits were issued for parades Thursday in the neighborhoods of West Annapolis and Eastport. Parades also were held on Memorial Day and St. Patrick's Day this year.
There were at least two other parade-related deaths nationwide on the Fourth of July this year.
In Oklahoma, 8-year-old Aidan Hooper died after he fell or jumped off a flatbed trailer and was run over, officials told The Edmond Sun newspaper. The trailer, part of a karate school float, was being pulled by a truck driven by the boy's father.
And in Maine, the 63-year-old driver of a tractor was killed when the tractor was hit from behind by an antique firetruck in the Bangor parade, authorities told WCSH-TV.