The Annapolis city council has scheduled hearings this month on controversial plans for City Dock.
The hearings, set for July 25, come after a bill to rezone part of the downtown dock and a redevelopment proposal drew protests. The developer withdrew the redevelopment proposal.
The hearings are to focus on a new master plan for City Dock, whether to form a committee to study how the plan would be implemented, and a proposal to rezone a property on Compromise Street.
Council members are also scheduled to discuss the City Dock during a work session on July 18.
Alderman Kenneth Kirby said the work session will be helpful to help residents — and officials — sort through the debate about City Dock.
“I've been inundated with so many calls, so many pros and cons. Quite frankly, I don't have enough information about any of it,” Kirby said.
The master plan and rezoning bills were scheduled for hearings this week, but protests by a group of community and business leaders led Mayor Joshua J. Cohen to ask for more time.
The group, which calls itself the Coalition to Save Annapolis, has raised concerns about the City Dock plan and Cohen's effort to rezone part of Compromise Street.
Cohen wants the change so offices and retail space may be built where the vacant former Fawcett Boat Supplies building now stands.
The coalition has said that bill represents “spot zoning,” and would allow a building that’s too tall and would clash with the dock's maritime heritage.
The prospective buyers of the Fawcett building cited the opposition last week when they dropped out of the deal. Cohen said he hopes to salvage the deal while working with the Save Annapolis coalition.
Mark Ordan, leader of the investment group, said Tuesday he had no knowledge of any negotiations.
“For this to work, it requires consistent support from city leadership,” said Ordan, who is CEO of Sunrise Senior Living. “They have to help push to make sure what’s good for Annapolis happens,” he said. “I can’t do that myself.”Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun