Glen Burnie man accidentally sets home on fire by dumping hot coals, officials say

A 23-year-old man suffered minor injuries after he accidentally set his Glen Burnie home on fire early Sunday morning, fire officials said.

At about 1:35 a.m. Sunday, Anne Arundel County firefighters responded to the 200 block of Benmere Road where they found the rear of the home engulfed in flames. The fire was brought under control in about 45 minutes with 48 firefighters.

By the time firefighters arrived, a man living in the home had suffered minor injuries but safely evacuated. He was taken to the Baltimore Washington Medical Center.

A firefighter in good condition but with a “medically related complaint,” was transported to the medical center as well, fire officials said.

The man had been grilling at about 5 p.m. Saturday and dumped the still-hot coals against the home at about 11 p.m., fire officials said. The fire has been ruled accidental, and damages are estimated at $285,000.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
72°