A New Orleans man has been arrested for the June 2008 murder of Nathaniel "Nate" Mills in the Slidell area, Sheriff Jack Strain announced today.

Mills, who worked at the Unfadable Barber and Beauty Shop at 58255 Carroll Rd, was shot just after 9:00 PM on June 20th, 2008. At the time of the incident, Mills was closing his shop for the evening.

Mills' mother received a call for help from her son, which prompted her to call 911. Deputies responding to the scene discovered Mills on the floor of the shop with multiple gunshot wounds from a handgun.

Mills was transported to Slidell Memorial Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Witnesses near the scene reported seeing a suspicious maroon colored sedan behind the barber shop the night of the murder. At the time, investigators had little else to lead them in their investigation.

Through dozens of interviews with people who lived in the area, it became apparent the murder was the result of a botched robbery attempt. (Mills was found with an undisclosed amount of cash in his pocket). Several names emerged as possible suspects. Investigators were able to rule out most of the names, but one consistently remained on their list. It was only the nickname "Smokie."

Investigators discovered that someone by that nickname was a suspect in a previous case. They were able to determine Smokie's real identity and began seeking him for questioning. Smokie was identified as Yosvani Harvey, 19, of New Orleans. Harvey lived on the northshore at the time of the murder, but moved to New Orleans East in the months following the incident.

In September, southshore authorities alerted St. Tammany detectives of Harvey's arrest in New Orleans on auto theft and unrelated gun charges.

St. Tammany investigators located and questioned Harvey in Orleans Parish Prison. By mid-September, an arrest warrant was obtained for Harvey's arrest.

Last Friday, Harvey was transported to the St. Tammany Parish Jail and booked with one count of first degree murder. Yesterday, he was transported back to the Orleans Parish Prison, where he still awaits trial on the gun charges.

Investigators are still looking into the possibility of Harvey having accomplices in the murder, and more arrests may be forthcoming.

Detective Alvin Hotard was the lead investigator in the case.