A $90,000 grant to the Civil War Trust for the preservation of the site of the Battle of Falling Waters in the Williamsport area was one of 58 payments totaling $2.7 million from the Maryland Heritage Areas Authority to nonprofit groups, officials said.
Of the $2.7 million, $360,415 went to projects in the Heart of the Civil War Heritage Area, which includes portions of Washington, Frederick and Carroll counties, according to the Hagerstown-Washington County Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Other projects funded included:
• $15,000 to the C&O Canal Trust for a plan your visit virtual guide for the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park.
• $75,000 to the burgess and commissioners of Middletown, Md., for the purchase of Memorial Hall in Middletown.
• $30,415 to the town of Emmitsburg, Md., for the revitalization of Emmitsburg town square.
• $15,000 grant to the U.S. Department of the Interior for a commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Monocacy.
• $10,620 to the Maryland National Road Association for update, identification, and correction to existing interpretive panels along the National Road in Maryland.