Two Montgomery County, Md., residents filed for the 6th Congressional District race on Wednesday, the state’s candidate deadline day, meaning 13 people will compete for their parties’ nominations in the April primaries.
U.S. Rep. Roscoe G. Bartlett, the Republican incumbent, is seeking his 11th term this year.
In a GOP primary on April 3, he will have seven challengers, including Peter James of Germantown, who filed on Wednesday.
Ron Little of Gaithersburg also filed to run on Wednesday, the fifth candidate on the Democratic side.
In 2008, James ran for Congress in the 4th District, where he lived, but lost in the general election to U.S. Rep. Donna F. Edwards, a Democrat.
Because of the recent congressional redistricting in Maryland, James now lives in the 6th District.
He said Wednesday that he is currently devoting his time on First Fruits Farm, a project aimed at the country’s food, money and energy problems.
James joins a Republican field that also includes state Sen. David R. Brinkley, state Del. Kathryn L. Afzali, former Del. Robin Ficker, Joseph T. Krysztoforski, Robert Coblentz and Brandon Orman Rippeon.
The Democrats competing for the seat are Little, state Sen. Robert J. Garagiola, John Delaney, Dr. Milad L. Pooran and Charles Bailey.
— Andrew Schotz
As of the 9 p.m. deadline for the April 3 Maryland primary, the following candidates had filed to run for the U.S. Senate:
• Blagmon, Raymond Levi, Prince George’s County
• Cardin, Ben, Baltimore (incumbent)
• Cusick, J.P., St. Mary’s County
• Garner, Chris, Anne Arundel County
• Jaffe, Ralph, Baltimore County
• Muse, Anthony C., Prince George’s County
• Taylor, Blaine, Baltimore County
• Tinus, Ed, Worchester County
• Young, Lih, Montgomery County
• Alexander, Joseph, Hartford County
• Bongino, Daniel John, Anne Arundel County
• Broadus, Robert “BRO,” Prince George’s County
• Capps Jr., William Thomas, Anne Arundel County
• Douglas, Richard J., Prince George’s County
• Hoover, Rick, Anne Arundel County
• Jones, David, Baltimore County
• Kimble, John B., Montgomery County
• Vaeth, Brian, Baltimore County
• Vaughn, Corrogan R., Baltimore County