Recipe developed by: Rachael Flatt, US Women's Figure Skater and spokeswoman for Colorado Potato Administrative Committee
Recipe prepared by: Chef Keith Jones
- 3 pounds Colorado red potatoes; washed, unpeeled and cut into quarters
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 21 ounces FAGE Greek low fat yogurt (healthier than sour cream)
- 4 tablespoons fresh, chopped chives
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Optional for extra calcium and richness: 8 ounces of feta cheese; cut into small cubes
Place the potatoes and kosher salt in a 4 quart saucepan with cold water. Make sure water covers the potatoes. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer covered for about 20-25 minutes, until the potatoes are completely tender. Drain.
With a potato masher, gently "smash" the potatoes to desired consistency, with some chunks remaining. Fold in the yogurt, garlic salt and chopped chives. (Add feta cheese if so desired). Taste for seasoning and serve immediately.
Makes 6-8 servings
Tangy Smashed Potato
We've upgraded our reader commenting system. Learn more about the new features.