SACRAMENTO—Local resident Ryan Barlow didn't think hot laundry would cause his car and two others to burn at a Sacramento carport Monday morning.
Firefighters say laundry Barlow tossed into the back of his vehicle Sunday evening warmed up so much that the linens spontaneously combusted, causing Barlow's vehicle to burn as well as two others.
Barlow told FOX40's Sean Bennett he thought condensation had formed on the windows of his car. When he opened a door to his vehicle, the clothes combusted, igniting the fire that left three cars totaled.
A fire investigator told FOX40 News the fire likely started after the linens generated a massive amount of heat. Hot laundry bundled into a bag can spontaneously combust, triggering a fire, the investigator said.
There were no injuries associated with the fire.