Former Chargers linebacker Junior Seau was released from the hospital Tuesday morning, a day after driving his SUV off a cliff, hospital officials said.

Seau's Cadillac Escalade drove off the Coast Highway Monday morning, crashing down a steep bluff. Seau, who was conscious when police and firefighters arrived at the accident scene, told investigators that he had fallen asleep at the wheel.

"The statements by the driver is that he was tired," said Lt. Kelly Cain with the Carlsbad Police. "And he fell asleep."

Cain said evidence at the scene corroborates what Seau told police.

"There's no indication of any kind of evasive maneuver, which is common when people fall asleep and drift off the roadway," Cain said.

The 12-time Pro-Bowler left Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla at about 11 a.m., a hospital spokeswoman told Fox 5.

Monday, a number of Seau's close friends and relatives visited the injured athlete at the hospital. Among them was Chargers team chaplain Shawn Mitchell.

"We shared some very, very important things together -- some of them, of course, I can't divulge, but I can tell you that his spirit are good and (he's) very grateful for the outcome of this," Mitchell said after leaving the hospital. "His spirits were good. Now he was a bit whooped, I'll tell you. He's weak. He's bruised. But I've seen him worse after football games."

Mitchell said Seau is receiving lots of support from God and from his family and friends.

"There's a lot of rumors out there -- rumors as far as suicide, alcohol, you know, the accident," Mitchell said. "But there's a bigger story here --a spiritual story and something good coming out of this."

The crash happened several hours after Seau was arrested on suspicion of felony domestic violence at the Oceanside home he shares with his 25-year-old live-in girlfriend, Mary Nolan. Oceanside police said Nolan told them that Seau hit her during a verbal argument. She declined medical treatment after the alleged assault.

Seau was booked at the Vista jail and released on bail several hours before he drove his SUV off the cliff. Cain said Seau did not show any physical signs of being under the influence, but officers asked for a blood sample, which Seau allowed them to take.

"that blood takes about six weeks to be analyzed by the county lab," he said. "If it comes back with anything that is criminal in nature then we talk to the District Attorney and make a determination from that point."