SAN DIEGO - A judge sentenced a teenager Wednesday who plead guilty to felony charge of engaging in a late-night deadly crash on State Route 52 in April.

An emotional 19-year-old Michael S. Johnson was sentenced to 180 days in county jail and is not eligible for early release.

Johnson, who began serving his predetermined sentence last month, was also placed on three years probation to include random drug testing and volunteer work with Mothers Against Drunk Driving or another program that focuses on driving-related crimes.

Johnson was racing another teenaged boy from Santana High School at speeds up to 100 mph on eastbound SR 52 when the boy lost control of his Volkswagen Passat and crashed, killing 16-year-old Jayli Campbell and 18-year-old Anthony Foreman.  The coeds were headed home to East County from a spring break party in La Jolla.

Johnson initially claimed the gas pedal got stuck the night of the accident that killed two of his friends and put 15-year-old girlfriend in a coma for five days, but survived. Another passenger was seriously injured.

Parents of both teens who died in the crash spoke during the sentencing.

"The loss of our son has been the most traumatic experience we have ever had to go through," said Theresa Campbell, mother of Jayli Campbell.  "No parent should have to bury their son."

"I miss sitting in my study and have Anthony come in, plop himself in his rocking chair, and ask, 'Dad, can we talk?'" said Anthony's father Mark Foreman.

At one point the judge commended both parents for wishing Johnson hope for his future.

"This court doesn't hear that often, so I do want to commend each of you," said Judge Eugenia Eyherabide.

Before leaving the courtroom, Johnson spoke to both families and apologized for his actions.

"I am so sorry for your irreplaceable loss. I know I will never be the same after this but I hope that we can now begin to heal but not forget," said Johnson.

The other driver was sentenced in July to a year in custody at a juvenile facility in Campo.