3 puppies die after being tied under beehive
Puppy Survives Bee Attack (fox5sandiego.com / June 8, 2012)
A Cal Fire crew found the dogs while putting out a grass fire off the 41200 block of De Luz Road about noon on May 31, according to a spokesman for the San Diego County Department of Animal Services.
The fire was stopped about 25 feet from a tree the dogs were tied to. Someone had left a water bowl for the dogs.
Three of the 5-month-old puppies were dead, Animal Services Lt. Dan DeSousa said.
Two Jack Russell terriers choked to death, likely as they tried to escape the fire or attacking bees. The third, a Rottweiler, died of unknown causes, according to DeSousa.
A surviving Jack Russell mix and a Chihuahua were said to be in critical condition. The dogs -- recently named Woody and Buzz, respectively -- have since been getting "around-the-clock care," DeSousa said.
"Both dogs were stung dozens of times, and due to its critical medical condition, one of the puppies underwent a blood transfusion earlier this week," he said.
The dogs' owners, a woman and her 16-year-old daughter who live next to the field, have told investigators the animals were in their back yard when they left for work and school that day, according to DeSousa.
The fire was definitely "human caused," said Cal Fire Capt. Mike Mohler, who stopped short of calling it arson. Residents of a nearby trailer park were questioned.
Both survivors will eventually be put up for adoption at the Carlsbad shelter, DeSousa said.
Anyone with more information about who tied the dogs to the tree was asked to call (619) 767-2624.
Anyone interested in helping to pay for the continued care of these puppies can donate to the DAS Spirit Fund.