The Sacramento City Council authorized staff Tuesday night to begin conducting environmental studies and site plan work for a new NBA arena in the downtown railyard, despite a refusal by the Kings to participate, The Sacramento Bee reported.

The Bee said the city will tap $200,000 in pre-development funds forwarded by the National Basketball Association - good enough for two weeks of work. The NBA agreed to forward those funds as an urgency step last week after Sacramento Kings' owners said they are unwilling to pay for any pre-development costs, arguing that they as tenants in the building should not be required to pay for planning the structure.

NBA officials will meet in New York next week to discuss the impasse between the city and Kings.

The city had initially planned to commit $6.5 million in city funds, but backed away until the NBA and Kings hash the issue out next week.

Two council members, Sandy Sheedy and Kevin McCarty, opposed the vote to move forward, the Bee said.