More than 36 hours after a shade tree and a utility pole came crashing across her Easton property, Caren Leonard remained a virtual prisoner at her house, with electrical wires strewn about her front yard and no word on when any of the wreckage would be removed.

For city Administrator Glenn Steckman, the lack of response from Met-Ed has been maddening. Steckman said Met-Ed workers didn't arrive in Easton until Wednesday morning, after city officials spoke to utility executives Tuesday night and relayed their dismay over the response to Sandy's destruction.

"It is a dangerous situation here," Leonard said Wednesday morning inside her Parsons Street home on College Hill. "I kind of expected people to be here yesterday. It's kind of surprising. An entire utility pole came down here. It's not just the wire."

Scott Surgeoner, a spokesman for FirstEnergy, Met-Ed's parent corporation, said 1,700 people are working to restore power throughout its territory in eastern Pennsylvania and western New Jersey. He said crews have been on the road since Tuesday morning, but not necessarily in Easton.

For Easton residents, where Met-Ed estimated more than 65 percent of the households were without power Wednesday afternoon, the lack of electricity may sound familiar.

"We are concerned with how much longer power will be off," said Steckman, who lives in the West Ward and is also without power.

Met-Ed estimated that most people would have power in the Easton area by Monday, or Wednesday at the latest.

Power outages climbed in Easton on Wednesday, to 6,050 from about 5,000, but the added outages were due to Met-Ed crews' de-energizing some lines so city workers could remove trees and other debris, according to Steckman.

Entering the third day of widespread blackouts, residents in Easton and its suburbs — like many thousands more across the Lehigh Valley — continued to grapple with uncleared trees across roads and yards, and the big question of when their power would be turned back on.

The tree that toppled Monday night near Leonard's stately twin home clipped a section of her immediate neighbor's porch roof, crushed her neighbor's car and broke the back window of Leonard's van. It took with it a utility pole, leaving a tangle of wires in a chaotic scene that remained unchanged early Wednesday.

"At this point, I'm getting concerned," Leonard said. "Aside from the fact that we don't have power, this is dangerous."

Sandy left an expansive patchwork of damage that utility and public works crews were still struggling to assess. Even major streets hadn't gotten attention as Wednesday began in Easton: Washington Street, near where the Northampton County Courthouse sits, was blocked by a utility pole that snapped near the top, leaving a quarter of it hanging at a right angle.

Steckman said broken poles have been a big problem across the city, along with enormous trees that fell from the whipping gusts. The wind lifted part of the roof off a Washington Street nursing home, forcing a partial evacuation Tuesday. Steckman said some of the city's senior housing is running on generators.

Steckman said he thinks Sandy's destruction was at least as bad as last Halloween's snowstorm.

Those residents with power were often at odds to explain why they had it and their neighbors didn't. Directly across the street from Leonard, Kim Hopkins' lights stayed on, despite the destruction she could see out her front window.

"We have no idea," Hopkins said when asked why her family was spared.

She was in her living room when the tree came down, sending sparks flying.

"It felt like the Fourth of July around here," Hopkins said.

In Forks Township the number of power outages fell throughout the day Wednesday. Township officials said most properties had power back by Wednesday afternoon. In Palmer Township the number stayed above 5,000 households Wednesday.

Palmer resident Christine Gold sought refuge at the Barnes & Noble in Bethlehem Township off Route 33.