The deck of a Baltimore County home caught fire Thursday as residents attempted to fry a turkey, the second cooking-related fire reported on Thanksgiving day in Central Maryland
County dispatchers got a call just after 1:30 p.m. about a deck on fire in the 3400 block of Moultree Place in Nottingham. Fire officials said the blaze, contained to the deck area, began while a turkey fryer was warming up and splattered over.
One person suffered minor burns to his arms and face, but refused to be taken to the hospital.
Earlier in the day, Prince George's County firefighters reported that a Laurel house was heavily damaged when the residents were smoking a turkey on a propane grill on the rear deck, according to The Associated Press.
The fire was reported about 11 p.m. Wednesday on Prince George Street in Laurel. Officials say the blaze started on the house's exterior and spread into the two-story home. One firefighter suffered an illness at the scene and was taken to a local hospital. Damage was estimated at $100,000 and the family was displaced.
Fire officials stressed that people should be careful when cooking near their homes.Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun