Two local residents have died in separate house fires this week, including an elderly man in a two-alarm blaze in the Jacksonville-area Thursday morning.
According to the Baltimore County Fire department, the fire occurred just after midnight in a single-family home at the 5600 block of Sweet Air Road. Baltimore and Harford county fire officials responded to the heavy fire, and officials said that because there were no hydrants in the area extra crews were called to assist with water, which was shuttled from a nearby natural water source. About 80 fire personnel and 20 fire units responded to the fire and at one point had to evacuate the home due to heavy fire conditions, officials said. The majority of the fire had been contained at around 2:30 a.m., officials said.
The victim in the Sweet Air Road fire is William Spencer, 62. He died at the scene, officials said.
Two firefighters suffered minor injuries during the blaze; one was transported to St. Joseph's Medical Center and the other to Johns Hopkins Bayview Burn Center.
On Monday, Ernest Lewis Sr., 87, died in a fire on the 100 block of Avon Beach Road in Dundalk, fire officials said. Lewis had been transported in critical condition to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center following the fire but was later transferred to University of Maryland Medical Center — where he died on Monday. The state Medical Examiner has ruled that he died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Both fires remain under investigation.