Hit-and-run victim identified as a Towson University student

A Towson University student from Long Island, N.Y., who gave up lacrosse to turn his attention to his accounting studies was killed near campus by a hit-and-run driver early Saturday.

Ryan Bailey, 20, a junior, was considering a career on Wall Street, his father said, adding that his son had followed his best friend to Maryland and had fallen in love with the area and the school.

"Nobody disliked Ryan," said the father, William Bailey, by telephone from his home in Seaford N.Y., where the young man grew up, graduated from high school in 2009 and was an All-Nassau County attackman for the lacrosse team.

A second Towson University student died Saturday afternoon at Towson Place Apartments in the 7700 block of Greenview Terrace, according to police and a school spokeswoman. The 27-year-old male was found dead by paramedics about 2:20 p.m.

A cause of death has not yet been determined, but county police said homicide detectives were not dispatched to the scene. The apartment building is south of campus near St. Joseph Medical Center, but close to several university buildings.

"It's just been a horrific weekend for Towson University," said spokeswoman Carol Dunsworth. She had no other details of the death. She confirmed the man was a student but could not say what he studied when he entered.

In the earlier death of Bailey, Baltimore County police said they are searching for the person who drove the car that struck him about 1:50 a.m. as he tried to cross York Road near Washington Avenue, north of the Towson campus and near Prospect Hill Park Cemetery.

Authorities had only a scant description of the vehicle — an older model silver or white "boxy style" car — that police said was being driven north on York Road.

Police said the impact sent Bailey into a grass embankment and a tree root, and onto a sidewalk on the east side of York Road.

Paramedics pronounced him dead on the scene.

Bailey's father said he was angry that the driver did not stop. "Anybody who did that is a coward," he said.

Towson University officials could not be reached for comment Saturday. In addition to his father, Bailey is survived by his mother, Susan, a brother, Christopher, 16, and a sister, Kaitlyn, 13.

William Bailey, 50, said his son decided to stop playing lacrosse to concentrate on his studies. He wanted to get his master's degree and possibly become a stock trader or get into the world of finance. In high school, Bailey said, his son had a 3.6 grade-point average.

He played in softball and soccer leagues and applied to several colleges in New York and New Jersey, but became enamored with Towson University. He and Peter Ferro, his best friend since kindergarten, came to Maryland together and were roommates in off-campus housing.

The father said he had not been given any details of how his son died and did not know where he was walking from.

He last saw his son over Christmas, when the family traveled to Florida to visit his 81-year-old grandfather.

Bailey had recently returned from a spring break trip to Cancun, Mexico. "He told me he had the best time of his life," his father recalled. "We were going to get the details next week when he came home for Easter."

Ferro did not return a request made through Facebook to be interviewed.


Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad