One man was critically injured and three others were displaced from their homes after a two-alarm fire burned through a Crownsville home that had been converted into separate apartment units, according to the Anne Arundel County Fire Department.
Firefighters responded to a report of a dwelling fire in the 1300 block of Generals Highway just before 6:30 p.m. to find the home almost 50 percent engulfed in flames, said Capt. Michael Pfaltzgraff, a department spokesman.
Firefighters began "an aggressive fire attack and also became aware that there may be a victim still in the house," Pfaltzgraff said. At that point, they called for a second alarm.
Three other adults were also displaced by the fire, and the American Red Cross was assisting them with finding temporary housing, Pfaltzgraff said.
A total of 75 fire personnel from Anne Arundel County, Annapolis and the U.S. Naval Academy battled the blaze, bringing it under control shortly after 7:30 p.m., Pfaltzgraff said.
The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical problem. Damages were initially estimated at $75,000.