Firefighters were called around 10:45 a.m. to the Claiborne Place Apartments at 130 Hearne Road, near Riva Road, where flames broke out in a 10th floor apartment, said Battalion Chief Steve Thompson.
Two additional alarms were requested to help evacuate residents from the facility, Thompson said. No injuries were reported, he said.
He said the flames were caused by a ceiling fan that caught fire and fell on top of a pile of clothes, causing a small fire but a lot of smoke.
"It was actually very small. We were very lucky," said Dana Wilson, community manager at the apartment complex, which has 175 units. She said all residents were able to return to their units Friday afternoon.