Announcing his decision in a humorous video, Ducks forward Teemu Selanne has decided to play again in the 2013-14 season, keeping a wise, high-scoring player of character on ice and in the locker room of the defending Pacific Division champions.
He'll be paid $2 million for what will be his final season, according to a hockey official unauthorized to speak publicly about financial information.
Selanne's announcement was emailed Friday afternoon by the Ducks.
The 90-second video shows Selanne frustratingly taking hacks on the golf course, striking a drive through a window, hitting a ball into the woods, struggling to hit out of a sand trap and finally slicing a shot into a lake.
So frustrated, he tosses his club into the same body of water, then follows that by throwing his entire bag of clubs in the lake.
"Hi Bob, it's Teemu,"Selanne says, apparently to Ducks General Manager Bob Murray. "I'm coming back. Yeah, this is it, this is my final one."
Selanne, 43, kept what has become an annual tradition of withholding his decision on playing again or retiring until the late summer after vacationing in his native Finland. He met with Murray and Ducks Coach Bruce Boudreau earlier this month.
Selanne, 43, had 12 goals and 12 assists in last season's lockout-shortened campaign, playing on the Ducks' second line.
His age appeared to be an issue as he went nine consecutive games in March without a goal. He played a bit tired as the season closed.
The Ducks were eliminated by the Detroit Red Wings in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs, leaving a bitter taste for the veteran after the team signed stars Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry to eight-year extensions during the successful regular season.
Murray said after the campaign that the decision to play again was Selanne's.
He's played 14 of his 22 seasons with the Ducks.
Selanne will discuss his decision later Friday in a conference call with reporters.
Twitter: @latimespugmireCopyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun