Juan Manuel Marquez’s promoter in Mexico said Monday that the fighter was pleased with terms for a May 17 fight against Mike Alvarado at the Forum, and has had a change of heart and is open to a fifth fight against Manny Pacquiao.
Marquez (55-7-1, 40 knockouts) told promoter Fernando Beltran he wants to share the Alvarado offer with his wife, and trainer “Nacho” Beristain, to get their input, then will meet again with Beltran on Thursday in Mexico City.
The 40-year-old Marquez, who last fought and lost a split decision to Timothy Bradley in October in Las Vegas, previously said he wasn’t interested in a fifth fight against Pacquiao, who fights for Bradley’s World Boxing Organization welterweight belt April 12 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Yet Beltran said Marquez has reconsidered.
“He wants the challenge of the Bradley-Pacquiao winner, he wants to make history of a fifth world title in five divisions,” said Beltran, referring to a feat never accomplished by a Mexican fighter. “If Pacquiao wins he’ll have the belt, and Juan wants it.”
Bob Arum, Marquez’s promoter in the U.S., said he’s “very excited, delighted” by that decision.
First, Marquez would have to deal with the 33-year-old Alvarado (34-2, 23 knockouts), who has engaged in three consecutive wars, splitting bouts against Brandon Rios, then getting knocked out in October by Ruslan Provodnikov.
For Marquez, the bout would also mark a return to the legendary Inglewood arena where he fought 12 times in the late 1990s.
“I have so many fond memories of fights at the Forum, and now they’ve done a great job of renovating it,” Arum said. “L.A. is such a great boxing market, and now it has one more great place to watch fights again.”
Beltran said Marquez is enthused to return to the venue that formerly was the Lakers’ and Kings’ home.
“It’s sensational for him, historical and he’s very excited about returning there at this point in his career,” Beltran said.
ALSO:Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun