Is Mike Trout or Yasiel Puig the most popular ballplayer in Southern California?
Neither, at least based on jersey sales in the first half of the season. Clayton Kershaw beats them both -- and ranks third in Major League Baseball, behind Derek Jeter of the New York Yankees and Buster Posey of the San Francisco Giants.
The Dodgers are the only team with three players among the top 20 -- Kershaw, the defending National League Cy Young winner, at No. 3; Puig at No. 9, and pitcher Hyun-Jin Ryu at No. 18.
Trout, the Angels star widely considered the best all-around player in baseball, ranks seventh.
The top 20, as released by MLB and based on jersey sales at mlb.com:
1. Derek Jeter, New York Yankees
2. Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants
3. Clayton Kershaw, Los Angeles Dodgers
4. David Ortiz, Boston Red Sox
5. Dustin Pedroia, Boston Red Sox
6. Yadier Molina, St. Louis Cardinals
7. Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
8. David Wright, New York Mets
9. Yasiel Puig, Los Angeles Dodgers
10. Miguel Cabrera, Detroit Tigers
11. Andrew McCutchen, Pittsburgh Pirates
12. Freddie Freeman, Atlanta Braves
13. Robinson Cano, Seattle Mariners
14. Masahiro Tanaka, New York Yankees
15. Anthony Rizzo, Chicago Cubs
16. Manny Machado, Baltimore Orioles
17. Bryce Harper, Washington Nationals
18. Hyun-Jin Ryu, Los Angeles Dodgers
19. Tim Lincecum, San Francisco Giants
20. Yu Darvish, Texas Rangers
Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun