WASHINGTON — The Washington Navy Yard reopened Thursday morning following the shooting that resulted in 13 deaths there earlier in the week.
The base opened at 6 a.m., as usual, with all facilities accessible except for the gym and Building 197, where the shooting occurred, a Navy spokeswoman said. A letter from Vice Adm. Bill French to employees said Thursday was a "regular workday."
"I join with you in grieving for our Navy Yard colleagues and Navy family who were senselessly gunned down on Monday," French wrote. "But as we grieve, we also stand strong, knowing that our inner strength and the ideals for which we work and train and fight are infinitely stronger than gun-wielding individuals."
The base remains at the same heightened level of security as since the shooting. Day-to-day operations are affected in various ways for different employees.
A notice on a Navy website said Building 197 and some surrounding areas "remain an active crime scene and will be closed until further notice." It said a Department of Defense identification was needed for access to the Navy Yard.
Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel on Wednesday ordered a review of security procedures at all Defense Department installations in the United States amid questions about Aaron Alexis, the gunman who killed 12 people, and how he gained clearance with a record that included disciplinary actions and arrests. The secretary of the Navy, Ray Mabus, also called Wednesday for reviews of how security clearances are granted and renewed.
ALSO:Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun