Acknowledging concerns in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings last year, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said Sunday that officials have taken every precaution to ensure that the city's marathon is safe and secure.
Garcetti, who was on hand at Dodger Stadium for the kickoff of the 29th annual marathon, told KTLA that the world had changed since the Boston bombings -- in which three people were killed and dozens injured -- but that city agencies and the police department had put all necessary resources into Sunday’s event to make certain there would be no problems.
“You can rest assure people will be safe here,” he said.
The mayor noted that the 26.2-mile race, which attracts participants from all over the world, runs through Los Angeles, Hollywood, Beverly Hills and ends at the ocean in Santa Monica. He said the race captures the “spirit of L.A.”
Garcetti joked that he may be the first mayor to run in a marathon -- next year. He said he would have to train and prepare for it.
“We’ll see,” he said.
ALSO:Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun