Los Angeles County coroner’s officials have identified a fourth victim of a fiery single-car crash in Burbank this past weekend.
Sugey Cuevas, 19, was among the five who died in the wreck that occurred at about 4:10 a.m. Saturday near the Scott Road off-ramp of the 5 Freeway.
It appeared the vehicle was traveling south on San Fernando Boulevard at a high rate of speed when the driver apparently lost control and slammed into a concrete abutment, Burbank police said.
Officers who arrived at the scene found the sedan ablaze.
The coroner identified three others Thursday: Stephen Stoll, 23, of Burbank; Sameer Joudeh, 18, of Valley Village; and 19-year-old Malak Hariri. The victims had previously been identified through peers or family members, but only recently have their identities been released by authorities. The coroner has yet to confirm the identity of the fifth fatality.
KTLA-TV reported that the sole survivor of the crash -- 18-year-old Savannah Underwood -- was released from the hospital Thursday after suffering broken bones in her right leg and a crushed pelvis.
The crash shocked the city as a roadside memorial grew in size this week and the City Council observed a moment of silence.
“It kind of hit our place of business kind of hard that day, and affected us through the week,” Matt Ferrato, owner of the Hollywood Way restaurant, told the Burbank Leader, adding that a number of his employees had friends among the victims. “We just wanted to do something for our employees and for the families.”
A community fundraiser had brought in $20,000 for the families of the victims by midday Friday.
Twitter: @josephsernaCopyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun