The building was constructed in 1950 in the Westlake neighborhood of Los Angeles, on the outskirts of downtown. The building belonged to a prominent gynecologist who sold it to three doctors in the mid-'60s. Once they moved out, the building was leased to a chiropractor. In 2004, Dan Nadeau and D.J. Peterson bought the commercial space to convert it to living quarters and a studio where Nadeau, then an artist and graphic designer, could meet with clients. Pictured here: A dining deck outside the front door, protected by shade sails and surrounded by aromatic lavender and rosemary. The dining chairs are from Ikea; a glazed ceramic urn from Sunset Boulevard Nursery was turned into a fountain.
Rick Loomis / Los Angeles Times