Active Work Time: 25 minutes
Total Preparation Time: 3 1/2 hours
CABBAGE AND VEGETABLES
1 head cabbage, washed, cored and cut into 6 wedges
4 large shallots, peeled
4 carrots, cut into thirds, or 20 baby carrots
4 small turnips, peeled and quartered
4 baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 celery root, peeled and quartered
Freshly ground pepper
* Bring cabbage, shallots, carrots, turnips, potatoes, celery root and salt and pepper to taste to boil in water to cover. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
HORSERADISH MUSTARD CREAM
2/3 cup whipping cream, whipped
3 tablespoons horseradish
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
* Combine whipped cream, horseradish, mustard and mayonnaise in small bowl. Taste and adjust horseradish and mustard as needed. Refrigerate until chilled.
1 (3-pound) corned beef
1 teaspoon peppercorns
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
2 bay leaves
2 onions, each studded with 1 clove
* Put corned beef, peppercorns, mustard seeds, bay leaves and onions in large pot. Cover with hot water and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until tender, about 3 hours. Skim surface occasionally and add hot water as needed to keep beef covered.
* Transfer meat to cutting board, cover with foil and weigh down with heavy pot.
* Strain cooking liquid, reserving stock and discarding everything else. If making ahead, refrigerate stock and corned beef separately. Before using, bring stock to boil, then reduce to simmer. Unwrap meat and warm in liquid for 5 minutes.
* Transfer Cabbage and Vegetables to warm platter. Cut beef across grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices and arrange on platter. Spoon reserved stock over beef and vegetables to moisten. Serve hot with pitcher of warm stock and Horseradish Mustard Cream.
4 servings. Each serving: 942 calories; 838 mg sodium; 196 mg cholesterol; 59 grams fat; 55 grams carbohydrates; 46 grams protein; 4.30 grams fiber.Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun