Dear SOS: The coffee cake at South Pasadena's Heirloom Bakery and Cafe, near the train station, is fabulous. Each day it's flavored differently for variety ... chocolate chips, raspberry, etc. I would love to have the recipe to make at home for a treat for those days when my walking partner and I aren't splurging and stopping for breakfast.
Dear Joanne: We loved the light texture and subtle tang of this simple coffee cake, marbled with a wonderfully crumbly topping of brown sugar, cinnamon, pecans and chocolate chips. A slice of this should brighten any morning.
Heirloom Bakery and Café's sour cream coffeecake
Total time: About 1 hour
Servings: 8 to 12. This makes 1 (9-inch) square cake.
Note: Adapted from Heirloom Bakery and Cafe in South Pasadena.
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted and cooled
In a large bowl, stir together the brown sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, chocolate chips, pecans and butter. Set aside.
Cake and assembly
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups (6.4 ounces) flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until incorporated, then beat in the sour cream and vanilla.
3. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt.
4. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the butter and egg mixture to form a batter. The batter will be lumpy; simply continue folding until no large lumps remain.
5. Spoon one-half of the batter into a greased 9-inch-square baking pan, then layer with half of the topping. Layer with the remaining batter, then the remaining topping. Bake until the coffee cake is puffed and golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
Each of 12 servings: 373 calories; 4 grams protein; 45 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams fiber; 21 grams fat; 11 grams saturated fat; 74 mg. cholesterol; 32 grams sugar; 183 mg. sodium.