Spiced apple cobbler crumble
Total time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Note: Adapted from Susan Dumeyer and David Sundeen of Windrose Farm. Regarding the apples, Dumeyer recommends "Granny Smith or Sierra Beauty for their firm, tart flavor. Calville Blanc d'Hiver would be another good apple."
1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
3 cups (12.75 ounces) plus 2 tablespoons flour, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
6 cups peeled, cored and cubed apple (about 2¼ pounds, or 6 apples)
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
1/3 cup plus ½ cup cold butter, cubed and divided
1 cup milk
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
Crème fraîche, vanilla ice cream or sweet cream, for serving
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 13-by-9-inch baking dish.
2. Prepare the filling: In a large bowl, whisk together three-fourths cup sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, the allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Toss in the cubed apples to coat with the mixture. Sprinkle over the water and mix to combine. Turn the mixture out onto the greased baking dish.
3. For the cobbler topping, in a large bowl, whisk together 2 cups flour, the baking powder, salt and orange zest. Add one-third cup butter cubes and, using your fingertips, mash the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture comes together in a sand-like texture. Pour over the milk and stir just to combine. Drop spoonfuls of the cobbler topping over the apple filling. Don't worry about completely covering the apple mix, as the batter will spread out during cooking.
4. Make the crumble topping: In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup flour, one-half cup sugar and one-half cup brown sugar. Add the remaining one-half cup butter cubes and mix them into the dry ingredients with your fingertips as before. Add the oats and mix until combined but still crumbly. Sprinkle the topping over the apple and cobbler mix.
5. Bake the cobbler crumble until the top is lightly browned, the cobbler is baked through (a cake tester or knife inserted should come out clean) and the apples are bubbly, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly before serving. Serve topped with crème fraîche, vanilla ice cream or sweet cream.
Each serving: 613 calories; 8 grams protein; 101 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams fiber; 21 grams fat; 13 grams saturated fat; 54 mg cholesterol; 55 grams sugar; 344 mg sodium.