NBC's three-hour live broadcast of Rodgers and Hammserstein's "The Sound of Music," with Carrie Underwood as Maria von Trapp, sent social media atwitter.
The Thursday night show, in which the country music star and former "American Idol" winner reprised a role made famous by Julie Andrews, placed at the top of Nielsen's Twitter TV rankings. It generated nearly 450,000 tweets that reached an audience of more than 5.2 million people on Twitter, according to Nielsen's SocialGuide, which captures relevant tweets three hours before, during and three hours after a prime-time show's initial airing.
The broadcast also topped the TV ratings for the evening, bringing in 18.6 million viewers -- hitting a high note for NBC, even if some critics considered Underwood's performance less than one of their favorite things.
NBC's singing competition, "The Voice," ranked as the second-most-popular prime-time TV show of the week on social media, producing nearly 1.2 million tweets that reached a Twitter audience of about 3.5 million.
The "Grammy Nominations Concert Live" on CBS rounded out the musically oriented top of the Twitter TV charts, sparking 134,000 tweets viewed by a Twitter audience of 2.7 million.
The complete Twitter TV rankings for the week of Dec. 2, excluding sports broadcasts, are as follows:
- “The Sound of Music Live” (NBC), Thursday; unique audience: 5,255,500; tweets: 449,500
- “The Voice” (NBC), Tuesday; unique audience: 3,481,400; tweets: 1,179,400
- “The Grammy Nominations Concert Live” (CBS), Friday; unique audience: 2,733,600; tweets: 133,900
- “CMA Country Christmas” (ABC), Monday; unique audience: 2,410,100; tweets: 73,100
- “American Horror Story: Coven” (FX), Wednesday; unique audience: 2,140,000; tweets: 105,400
- “Scandal” (ABC), Thursday; unique audience: 2,138,600; tweets: 395,700
- “The Voice” (NBC), Monday; unique audience: 1,951,700; tweets: 160,900
- “CMT Artists of the Year 2013” (CMT), Tuesday; unique audience: 1,937,900; tweets: 54,500
- “The X Factor” (FOX), Wednesday; unique audience: 1,908,800; tweets: 275,400
- “Bonnie & Clyde” (Lifetime), Sunday; unique audience: 1,869,100; tweets: 90,000
ALSO:Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun