Summer Sale Extended! Get unlimited digital access for 13 weeks for $13.
The Baltimore Sun

Tonys 2013: Andrew Lloyd Webber cancels appearance, citing health

Andrew Lloyd Webber said Sunday that health problems have forced him to cancel his scheduled appearance at the Tony Awards ceremony in New York. Lloyd Webber was expected to appear at Sunday's ceremony at Radio City Music Hall as part of a tribute to "The Phantom of the Opera," which is celebrating 25 years on Broadway.

The composer, 65, issued a statement on his official website Sunday. He said that he has been experiencing "constant pain" since October after treatment for a problem in his right thigh.

"As a consequence I have undergone countless medical procedures and two major back operations," he said.

Lloyd Webber said his recent health problems have forced him to cancel a number of public appearances. In 2009, Lloyd Webber announced that he was fighting prostate cancer. He subsequently recovered and was able to return to work.

"Phantom" director Hal Prince still is expected to attend Sunday's Tony ceremony. "Phantom" opened in New York in 1988 and still is running at the Majestic Theatre. A new U.S. touring production, staged by Laurence Connor, is scheduled to kick off in November.

Here is the full statement from Lloyd Webber:

"I am devastated not to be able to attend the Tony Awards in New York tonight where 'The Phantom of the Opera' is being honored for its 25 years on Broadway. My colleagues felt that it is time to explain why I have been unable to participate fully in my professional and social life over the last eight months.

"I have been in constant pain since October 2012 following treatment for a problem with my right thigh. As a consequence I have undergone countless medical procedures and two major back operations.

"This has affected my ability to undertake my normal work schedule. I was unable to attend the 25th anniversary of 'The Phantom of the Opera' on Broadway or the opening of 'The Wizard of Oz' in Toronto earlier this year. I also had to miss the funeral of my good friend Michael Winner and have had to cancel many other personal engagements.

"I have refrained from saying anything until now, but I have had to reluctantly agree with my colleagues that I needed to explain why I have had to withdraw from the Tonys tonight. I do not intend to comment further."

ALSO:

Tony Awards 2013: Ceremony returning to Radio City Music Hall

Tony Awards 2013: 'Pippin,' Christopher Durang gain momentum 

Andrew Lloyd Webber revives Broadway hopes for 'Love Never Dies'

Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun
Related Content
  • Tony Awards 2013: Best and worst

    Tony Awards 2013: Best and worst

    The best and worst moments from the 2012 Tony Awards. Red carpet | Highlights | Winners | Best & Worst | 'Kinky Boots' wins | Full Coverage

  • Tonys 2013: Winners and top nominees

    Tonys 2013: Winners and top nominees

    A look at the top nominees and winners of the 67th Tony Awards. Red carpet | Highlights | Winners | Best & Worst | 'Kinky Boots' wins | Full Coverage

  • Tony Awards 2013 winners and nominees: Complete list

    Tony Awards 2013 winners and nominees: Complete list

    The 2013 Tony nominations were announced Tuesday morning in New York by multiple Tony winner Sutton Foster and "Modern Family" actor Jesse Tyler Ferguson.

  • Former Gov. Marvin Mandel dies

    Former Gov. Marvin Mandel dies

    Former Gov. Marvin Mandel, who won acclaim during two tumultuous terms in the State House as one of Maryland's most effective chief executives only to be forced from power on corruption charges in 1977, died Sunday afternoon, his family said. He was 95.

  • Nick Mosby 'seriously considering' run for mayor

    Nick Mosby 'seriously considering' run for mayor

    At a "Back to School" Rally in West Baltimore Sunday, Councilman Nick J. Mosby is working the crowd. He's giving out 500 fully stuffed backpacks and talking about citywide issues that need solutions — such as how to deal with dirt bikes and crime — as the New Baltimore Twilighters Marching Band...

  • Horror master, Hopkins alum Wes Craven dies at 76

    Horror master, Hopkins alum Wes Craven dies at 76

    Wes Craven, the prolific horror filmmaker behind “A Nightmare on Elm Street” and the “Scream” movies, died Sunday at his Los Angeles home after a battle with brain cancer, according to his representative. He was 76.

Comments
Loading
77°