The DB4GT made its debut at the 1959 London Motor Show. The car was designed by Aston Martin and used the Superleggera construction system - aluminium panels on tubular support frames - produced by Carrozzeria Touring of Milan. Although similar to the DB4, the changes added up to a very different motor car.
Five inches were taken out of the original DB4 wheelbase, making the GT easier to handle on a race track and reducing the overall weight; the engine was equipped with a new twin-plug head and 45 DCOE Weber Carburettors. This increased power output to an impressive 302 bhp. The DB4GT was the first of many Aston Martins to use the faired in headlamps.
Offered at the London Motorshow in October 1960, the beautiful DB4GT Zagato at 1,225kg was 45kg lighter than the standard GT mainly due to perspex windows and less luxurious trim. Four cars were lightened further for racing and proved extremely competitive.