Become a digitalPLUS subscriber. $12 for 12 weeks.

Mayor on Arena: "Plan B" Delayed until June

Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson said Tuesday that an announcement on a possible "Plan B" for a downtown sports and entertainment complex will likely be delayed until June.

Previously, Johnson had said an announcement could be expected sometime in May.

In an impromptu press conference, Johnson all but waved the white flag on the now failed downtown arena project, one that would have had the Sacramento Kings as an anchor tenant. 

“Tonight at council, plan A is really coming to an end. Pre-development and a lot of other work we did in terms of parking is going to be suspended, because as we knew, the original deal it just won't happen. It's disappointing to say the least,” Johnson said.

The mayor also defended spending $680,000 in pre-development costs for the now dead deal – calling it an investment and not a waste.

“Regardless, with the parking, with the intermodal, with the environmental work that needs to be done, that was a good investment for us," the mayor said. "Now, we didn't get a return on every single dollar of our investment, but that the cost of doing business.”

Johnson said he met with the head of AEG, Tim Leiweike, this week in Los Angeles. Johnson said the concept of a “Plan B” arena modeled after the Sprint Center in Kansas City, which lacks a professional sports team tenant, is still a possibility.

“What they did in Kansas City was an anomaly in many respects," said Johnson. "But, Tim Leiweike believes in our city, believes in our partnerships and clearly believes in the fair agreement we came to in Orlando.”

Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun
Related Content
Comments
Loading