LOS ANGELES (KTLA) -- The company that owns Albertsons supermarkets is closing stores across the United States, and Southern California will be hit especially hard.
Supervalu Inc. announced Wednesday that it plans to close an additional 60 under-performing stores, including 19 Albertsons in the Southland.
Stores in Northridge, Long Beach, Van Nuys and Glendale -- to name just a few -- are set to be closed by December. A Culver City location was closed just last month.
Supervalu says it is closing the stores because of "under-performance or non-strategic locations."
They say that they have lost more than $2 billion dollars in just two years due to competition from dollar stores, large discount stores and big box retail stores.
It was not immediately clear how many employees will lose their jobs as a result of the cuts. Some may be moved to other locations, depending on their union contracts.
Depending on the store size, some Albertsons locations can staff anywhere from 50 to 100 employees.
This past June, Albertsons announced that it was cutting 2,500 jobs in Southern California alone to try to save money.
Employees at the Northridge store slated for closure told KTLA off-camera that they had no idea it was happening.
Their manager subsequently told all employees not to speak to reporters.
"These decisions are never easy because of the impact a store closure has on our team members, our customers and our communities," Wayne Sales, Supervalu's president and CEO, said in a statement.
He said that the decision shows the urgency to reduce costs and increase shareholder value.
Many shoppers are unhappy about all the closures, including one man who spoke to KTLA at the Northridge store.
"Don't close our Albertsons," shopper Phil Butch said. "This has been one of the best shopping stores that we've had here in the local community."
"The Albertsons is a good supermarket and we need it here locally," he said.
The affected Albertsons Southland stores include:
- Mesmer & Jefferson, Culver City, CA
- 7th & Redondo, Long Beach, CA
- Harbor & Garden Grove Blvd., Garden Grove, CA
- Harbor Blvd. & Imperial Hwy., Fullerton, CA
- Dale & La Palma, Buena Park, CA
- Brookhurst & Katella, Anaheim, CA
- Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles, CA
- Central & Chevy Chase, Glendale, CA
- Devonshire & Reseda, Northridge, CA
- Van Nuys & Sherman, Van Nuys, CA
- Bear Valley & Amethyst Roads, Victorville, CA
- Pigeon Pass & Ironwood, Moreno Valley, CA
- Colima & Fairway Drive, Rowland Heights, CA
- Hamner Ave & Hidden Valley Pkw., Norco, CA
- Grove Ave & Walnut Street, Ontario, CA
- Limonite & Clay, Riverside, CA
- Colima Road, Hacienda Heights, CA
- Amar & Nogales, Walnut, CA
- Azusa & Cypress, Covina, CA