SAN DIEGO -- A convicted rapist and sexually violent predator set to be released into the community and receive outpatient treatment will be placed at a single-family home in Campo, a judge ruled Thursday.
In August, the state Department of Mental Health proposed placing Frank Johnson -- who has brain cancer and is believed to have only a few months to live -- at the East County location 41 miles from downtown San Diego.
Today, Judge Kerry Wells ordered that Johnson be placed at the Campo residence no later than Nov. 14.
Wells approved the placement after receiving assurances that Johnson will be actively monitored 24 hours a day with a global positioning system. Staff members are to accompany Johnson whenever he leaves the home.
An alternative placement in a trailer near Donovan State Prison in the South Bay was not available, said Deputy District Attorney John Rice.
Earlier this month, Campo residents urged Wells not to place Johnson in their community.
County Supervisor Dianne Jacob said remote areas of East County should not become a "dumping ground'' for sexually violent predators.
Johnson, 53, was determined to be a sexually violent predator in March 2007.
His criminal activity began in 1977, at age 19, when he raped three women, according to authorities. Johnson was committed to Patton State Hospital in 1979 as a mentally disordered sex offender and remained there for five years.
He was convicted of sexual assault charges in 1987 and sentenced to 35 years in prison.
Johnson was ordered into sexually violent predator outpatient treatment on July 8 following a court hearing at which evidence was presented that he suffered from terminal brain cancer, which diminished the public risk of his placement in the community.Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun