Become a digitalPLUS subscriber. $12 for 12 weeks.

Attorney: Colton 'Indifferent' At Being Back In State

The lawyer for Colton Harris-Moore says the teen is 'indifferent' about being back in the U.S. John Henry-Browne updated us after he visited Harris-Moore at the Federal Detention Center in SeaTac Friday.

Browne said Harris-Moore is being kept in a cell by himself. He says the boy told him if fate wanted him back here, and to be caught, then it would happen.

Browne says only he and his staff have been to visit Harris-Moore. His mother has not come to visit him.

We're learning more about the alleged Barefoot Bandit's last days on the run.

The Seattle Times reports Colton Harris-Moore spent his final days before being captured in the Bahamas hiding out in bushes and surviving on stolen Gatorade and candy bars.

Locals who reported seeing him believe he was hiding out in a small cove of bushes, mango plants and grasses.

He is now being held in a federal detention center in SeaTac.

Harris-Moore appeared before a federal judge Thursday.

Federal Prosecutors explain why they want him held without bail. "The allegations if proven show that there is a pattern of not only flight but a risk to society." Said U.S. Attorney Jenny Durkan. Durkan spoke to the media after Colton's appearance behind closed doors in Federal Court. "There were a number of aircraft that were stolen that were flown without a license and were a danger to the public. Firearms that were stolen in a number of locations, and we believed that he presented a clear danger to the public."

Durkan says, "The allegations are very serious. There is nothing in the acts that he has done that should be admired and there is nothing that should be glorified. Real people were hurt by his actions."

Harris-Moore walked into the courtroom and was described as a 'nervous-looking teen.' The 19 year old spoke in a deep voice. His attorney, John Henry Browne, says the teen is recovering from a cold. Harris-Moore is ordered to stay in federal detention awaiting trial for his crimes.

Browne says, "The worst case scenario for him is if we can't resolve everything here and there's like this traveling road show and he could get consecutive sentences in every other jurisdictions and that's a real potential nightmare that we're trying to avoid."

After the hearing, the teen's attorney spoke to reporters. Browne says Harris-Moore wants teens to know that he should not be seen as a role model. He went on to say that the public should not emulate Harris-Moore and the crimes he is accused of. Browne said the last two years were not easy for Harris-Moore. He sometimes lived in a port-a-potty.

Browne says the teen is being treated well in a jail cell of his own and is being given medication for his cold.

O. Yale Lewis, his mother's attorney, says his mother intended to be in court but was unable to show because of a scheduling mix-up. She is expected to see her son Friday.

Court documents are revealing a glimpse of crimes teen has been involved in for the past few years since his escape from a group home.

Court documents say since his escape in April 2008, "He has evidently supported himself through regular thefts of cash, food, supplies, and other equipment from his burglary victims."

Documents say there are at least 80 active investigations against the teen. The crimes include residential and commercial burglaries, vehicle prowls, vehicle thefts, and assault on law enforcement officials. Harris-Moore is known for stealing five aircrafts, three of which crash landed. He is also accused of robbing banks and ATM machines.

The teen will make his first court appearance in Seattle Thursday afternoon to face a pretrial detention hearing.

Prosecutors are hoping to keep the teen in jail because they believe he's flight risk and a danger to the community.

The crimes he's accused of committing happened in five Washington counties, a tribal land in Yakima, eight states and two countries.

Harris-Moore landed at Boeing Field around 1:15 p.m. Wednesday, wearing tan pants and a white t-shirt, he was led into a bus. This is his first appearance before a judge since arriving from Miami.

He spent his first night at the Federal Detention Center in Seatac. He will face a judge Thursday at Seattle's Federal Courthouse.

Q13 FOX News Picture: Scroll down or Click Here to see Colton walking off the plane after landing in Seattle

According to the US Department of Justice, Harris-Moore will make his initial appearance in U.S. District Court in Seattle at 2:30.

At the initial appearance, the teen will be advised of the charges against him, the possible penalties and his constitutional rights.

Harris-Moore wore handcuffs and leg irons for the duration of his flight on the U.S. Marshals Prisoner and Alien Transportation System a.k.a. 'Con-Air.'

Picture Gallery: The Adventures of Colton-Harris Moore

The infamous airline was featured in the film 'Con Air.' The movie was about a group of inmates who hijack a federal marshals' flight and end up crashing it in the middle of the Las Vegas strip.

Meanwhile, an entertainment lawyer representing the teen bandit's mother says he's being swamped by offers for book and movie deals.

The life of Colton Harris-Moore has been talked about for the past two years since he escaped a halfway house in 2008. Now with him behind bars, Harris-Moore's story is catching worldwide headlines. Pam Kohler's attorney, O. Yale Lewis, says the family has not solicited any offers yet.

He adds it would be "grossly unfair" to require Kohler to give up future profits when she's not accused of breaking any laws. According to the AP, hardball-playing prosecutors could seek to have them agree to turn over any profits from such deals in exchange for Harris-Moore avoiding a long prison sentence. The government could use the money to repay his alleged victims.

Q13 FOX Picture: Colton Harris-Moore gets off US Marshal's plane, lands in Seattle

His two year run from the law ended on July 11 after a high speed chase by police in the Bahamas. Harris-Moore allegedly flew a stolen plane from Indiana and crash landed it on a small island in the Bahamas.

Authorities across Western Washington have been hoping to catch the alleged bandit since his escape from a halfway house in April 2008. The teen is suspected in about 70 crimes in nine states and British Columbia, some he allegedly committed shoeless. He was first arrested at age 12 and had been on the run since escaping in 2008 from a halfway house.

Last fall, after a stolen small plane crash-landed at an airport, Harris-Moore was caught on surveillance video breaking into a grocery store. A hardware store, bar, coffee-shop and bank were also hit at that time.

A few weeks later, a Cessna was stolen from a rural airport in Idaho and crash-landed near Granite Falls, Wash., when it ran out of fuel.

In addition to the worldwide media attention, Harris-Moore has become a folk hero of sorts, with his Facebook page listing more than 89,000 friends who frequently post messages of encouragement for his antics.

Harris-Moore will face a criminal complaint charging him with interstate transport of stolen property for allegedly stealing an aircraft from Idaho in 2009 and crash-landing it in Washington. Other arrest warrants charge him with fleeing prosecution and other crimes.

He is accused of crimes in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska and Iowa.

At several crime scenes the FBI found bare footprints identified as those of Harris-Moore, according to court documents.

Check our related links for in-depth stories about Colton Harris-Moore.

Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun
Related Content