Anne Arundel County Public School officials said on Thursday the county Department of Health has not recommended additional cleaning steps to be taken amid the Tuesday death of a Glen Burnie High School junior, who had become ill the day before with symptoms associated with bacterial meningitis.
School officials on Wednesday said that a letter was sent home to students' parents outlining the girl's death and providing information about bacterial meningitis.
"The county Department of Health has not recommended any additional cleaning procedures for us outside of our normal daily cleaning procedures," said Anne Arundel schools spokesman Bob Mosier. "If it is confirmed to be bacterial meningitis, it is not highly contagious. Just sitting in a classroom next to an infected student is not, in and of itself, sufficient to transform this disease. Direct saliva contact is the most prevalent way.
"The school and health department are working to identify those in close contact, and the Department of Health will be in touch with those individuals to discuss next steps," Mosier added.
Mosier said that the school has made counselors available to students "and will continue to do so as necessary."Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun