Now that we have gorged ourselves on holiday meals, it's time to get back to healthy eating.
The latest healthy recipe comes from Jay Wilson, senior program director at the Dancel Family Center Y in Ellicott City. It is butternut squash chicken salad.
Wilson said he has been cooking since age 12 and you can often find him in the kitchen experimenting with new recipes. He loves to share his creations with colleagues.
His duties at the Y include coordinating sports and fitness activities and teaching boot camp classes. He is also a personal trainer.
Wilson's recipe is below. If you have a healthy recipe you would like to share email email@example.com.
Butternut Squash Chicken Salad
- 1 cup lettuce, chopped
- 1/4 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/4 cup radish, chopped
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 strips of turkey bacon
- 1 chicken breast (seasoned and cooked to your liking)
- 1 whole butternut squash
- Olive Oil
- Boil or steam butternut squash until cooked
- Allow squash to cool for 10-15 minutes (depending on the size of the squash)
- Cut squash in half and use a spoon to remove the seeds and fibrous flesh; season to your liking
- Add enough olive oil to coat a pan and cook the squash over the stove
- After cooking, let squash cool for 5 minutes before cutting into slices
- Cook turkey bacon and then cut into fine pieces
- In a mixing bowl, mix chopped lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, carrots and radish
- Place squash in a bowl or on a plate and fill with salad mix; sprinkle chopped bacon on top
- Fan sliced chicken on top of the salad