By now, I am sure you have all heard the recent controversy surrounding Susan G. Komen and the subsequent amendment of the grant funding criteria policy. Nothing has changed these past few days as far as the local funding for breast cancer services throughout Maryland. Komen Maryland is dedicated to serving the breast health needs of all women, men and families regardless of age, race, gender or socioeconomic status. Our top priority is to continue to fund local programs with the best outcomes and community impact we can provide. We will continue to do this, as we have for 20 years, by working in collaboration with excellent direct service providers and demonstrating role model performance that deserves your trust and loyalty.
Currently Komen Maryland provides $2.5 million in funding to 29 local programs throughout Maryland, of which, 17 specifically assist uninsured/underinsured women with screenings and support services. Please view our current and past Grant Partners by clicking here and our Grants Accomplishments document for our 2010-2011 fiscal year by clicking here. We select our grant programs based on the specific needs of the community. We conduct a Community Profile on the state of breast health every other year and re-evaluate the need and gaps in service across the state to better serve those affected by this disease. A copy of our Community Profile can be viewed here.
Of the money raised by Komen Maryland through events like the Race for the Cure, 75% of the net funds stay in Maryland to fund annual grant programs. The other 25% is sent to Headquarters for the Komen Award and Research Grant Program, which funds research on a national level. Typically, more than 100% of Komen Maryland funds sent to Komen Headquarters for research programs return to Maryland in the form of research grants taking place at local institutions.
With your continued support, activism and participation, Komen Maryland looks forward to evolving our leadership and service in the fight against breast cancer. We are working very hard to save lives and build a future where breast cancer is no longer a threat to the quality or length of one's life. We hope that you will sustain your support of Komen Maryland activities including the Inaugural Ocean City Race for the Cure on Sunday, April 22, 2012 in Ocean City, Maryland and at the 20th annual Komen Maryland Race for the Cure on Sunday, October 21, 2012 in Hunt Valley.
In partnership and gratitude,
Letter from the Komen Maryland Executive Director
We've upgraded our reader commenting system. Learn more about the new features.
The Baltimore Sun encourages civil dialogue related to our stories; you must register and log-in to our site in order to participate. We reserve the right to remove any user and to delete comments that violate our Terms of Service. By commenting, you agree to these terms. Please flag inappropriate comments.