Harbaugh, Reynolds defend Kaepernick's stance – even if they don't agree with it
The Baltimore Sun

Franklin

By TINA LENDER | Hartford Courant HOW IT GOT ITS NAME: Settled as part of Norwich in 1663, the town was named after founding father Benjamin Franklin when it was incorporated in 1786. AYERS GAP: This nature preserve off Route 207 is named after John Ayer, the town's first settler; a 1937 plaque at the entrance to the forest's white-blazed trail pays tribute to him. The 80-acre parcel is filled with rock outcroppings, oaks, hemlocks and waterfalls. Bailey's Ravine was carved by water pouring o? the retreating Wisconsin Ice Sheet that covered New England some 17,000 years ago. The land is considered a rare plant habitat; one of its threatened ferns is the Asplenium montanum, or mountain spleenwort. Ayers Gap has been managed by The Nature Conservancy since 1989. ASHBEL WOODWARD MUSEUM: Built circa 1835, the museum was home to the town's physician and historian, Ashbel Woodward. The building was restored in 2004 featuring exhibits about local history. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. NOTABLE NATIVES: Connecticut Supreme Court Judge and U.S. Sen. Lafayette S. Foster (1806?1880), and U.S. Sen. Uriah Tracy (1755?1807), were both born in Franklin. SOURCES: The Hartford Courant; Connecticut Place Names; National Register of Historic Places
John Long
Copyright © 2016, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
73°