Aaron Hernandez To Be Moved Closer To Boston

The Hartford Courant

FALL RIVER - Accused killer Aaron Hernandez will be moved from the jail in North Dartmouth, Mass. where he has been held for the past year to a different facility closer to Boston.

At a hearing Monday, Superior Court Judge Susan Garsh ordered the transfer out of Bristol County, approving a request from Hernandez's Boston-based lawyers, who had asked that the former New England Patriot and Bristol native be closer to them as they prepare for trial.

The new surroundings could be a welcome change for Hernandez, who is charged with assaulting a fellow inmate and threatening a guard at the Bristol County House of Corrections in North Dartmouth, Mass.

Hernandez is charged in the June 2013 shooting death of Odin Lloyd. He faces two more murder counts in Suffolk County, Mass. accused of killing two men in Boston during a 2012 drive-by shooting.

Defense lawyers said Monday they will submit a memo to the court within a week as to when they will be prepared for trial in the Lloyd case. A date was tentatively set for Oct. 6, but Garsh expressed concerns that parties in the case would be ready in time.

Prosecutors say they are prepared to try Hernandez by October. Defense attorneys, however, are still reviewing evidence they received from prosecutors. James Sultan, one of Hernandez's lawyers, said Monday that he anticipated filing more motions, including one to change the trial venue, and that there's "certainly more that's going to be in the pipeline."

Hernandez appeared in court Monday dressed in khaki pants and a suit jacket. His older brother, DJ Hernandez, a UConn graduate and football coach at the University of Iowa, attended the hearing - his first courtroom appearance since the former Patriot tight end was arrested and charged with murder a year ago.

The court also requested that all media outlets produce outtake footage from a June 2013 search of Hernandez's home in North Attleboro, Mass. Defense lawyers have filed motions to suppress evidence, and at issue in this particular case is whether the police officer was holding a Manila folder containing the warrant and affidavit when he executed the search. The stations were asked to provide footage by July 21.

The next hearing was scheduled for Aug. 11.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad