Some of the things I’ve already thought about in this transition, especially since our engagement time overlaps slightly, are:
- Not talking about my wedding when we’re doing something related to hers
- Not being a know-it-all when it comes to wedding planning
- Sharing advice and vendor info, but not pushing it on the bride-to-be; simply offering to share if it’s wanted
- Having positive stories and inspiration ready to share when the stress starts to build
- Keeping my personal opinion to myself when it truly is personal (not pushing my opinion on others)
- Remembering it’s not my wedding, so my main role is to support the bride in whatever she needs or wants
I’ve seen and heard stories of bridesmaids over-stepping or saying more than they should, even resulting in torn relationships, when really the point of a wedding is to bring everyone closer together. That means that just because I am a bride (and will soon have been a bride) that doesn’t mean that I should act like anything more than a bridesmaid and a shoulder to lean on for the next bride, who in this case happens to be one of the sweetest people I know.