The old Belvedere Avenue Hochschild Kohn department store opened in September 1948, the store’s second suburban branch after Edmondson Village.
It closed after Christmas in 1983 as developer James Ward III, who bought the property, announced plans for what would become a shopping and dining destination known as Belvedere Square.
“If you put the right tenants there, it could be a very popular area again,” Ward predicted in 1983.
By June 1986, Belvedere Square was a reality, with tenants that included Pier One in the old Hochschild store, and Berger’s bakery, Faidley’s seafood, Casa di Pasta, Debbie’s produce, Recordmaster’s, the Coffee Mill, Larry’s ice cream, ACA Joe, Utz potato chips, Wernig country meats, and the Gap, among other retailers, including Baltimore’s once familiar institutions, the Provident Bank and Hess shoes.
Chili’s Grill and Bar, a popular chain of casual restaurants, constructed a new building at the eastern section of the property. It initially attracted a strong customer base, but closed in 2000.
Like Hochschild’s, it was repurposed — by an Irish-themed pub-restaurant, Ryan’s Daughter, which closed last month.
Despite the constantly shifting retail scene, Belvedere Square continues to serve North Baltimore patrons.