Halloween called the most dangerous time of year for pets

The Baltimore Sun

Want to hear something really scary for Halloween?

According to the Pet Poison Hotline, the average cost to treat a pet for chocolate ingestion exceeds $1,000.


Scary, right?

Halloween is the most dangerous holiday for pets, the hotline says. Their calls spike 12 percent this time of year.

Chocolate is the biggest culprit, being one of the most poisonous candies a pet might eat

But that's not the only thing to keep in mind. Here are a few other seasonal tips from the hotline: 

Trick or Treat escapes: Tons of pets get loose when people open their doors to greet trick-or-treaters. Make sure pets are safely in another room, or on a leash, before opening the door.

Too much costume: Nearly 15 percent of pet owners dress them up this time of year, according to the National Retail Federation. But to prevent accidents, the hotline wants owners to make sure their pet’s vision is clear, their movement is unencumbered and the costume is free of small pieces that can easily be swallowed. Pets can also become overheated and dehydrated if their outfits are too warm.

Sugar high: People can over-do it on sugar -- and so can the furry ones. Large quantities of sugar can  cause pancreatitis, the hotline says. Plus, they warn, candy wrappers can create intestinal obstructions which can be very serious.

Beware the raisin: Although children turn their noses up when folks drop raisins, a healthy snack, into their Halloween bag, the dried grapes can actually be lethal for pets. Raisins are extremely poisonous to pets – especially dogs. Even in small doses, raisin consumption can cause kidney failure in dogs and cats.

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad