A Hampden woman says someone apparently attempted to poison her dog by giving it sausage stuffed with Tylenol on Saturday evening.
Terri Galvan said she found the sausage in the back yard of her home in the 3400 block of Elm Avenue around 11 p.m.
Galvan said had left her pit bull, Maddie, outside for about a half an hour because she had visitors. The dog began barking, then stopped.
When Galvan went outside to check on Maddie, she saw a balding, heavyset man in his late 50s or early 60s slowly walking up the alley, she said. She discovered several pieces of sausage studded with Tylenol around her yard, but believes she picked it up before Maddie ate any.
Galvan said she immediately called 911, but police did not arrive. She called 911 again on Sunday, but the police did not come then either, she said.
Sgt. Jarron Jackson, a Baltimore Police Department spokesman, was not immediately able to confirm Galvan's account or say whether police had received reports of similar incidents in Hampden.
Galvan's story has sparked much interest on social media. As of Thursday afternoon, more than 1,500 people had shared photos of the pill-stuffed sausage on Facebook. Some were making plans to post flyers in the neighborhood to warn pet owners.
Other accounts of dogs in the Hampden area being given poisoned food could not be confirmed. The active ingredient in Tylenol, acetaminophen, is poisonous to both dogs and cats.
As for Maddie, Galvan said the 4-year-old dog is doing fine and does not appear to have suffered any ill effects from the incident.
Tina Regester, a spokeswoman for the Maryland SPCA in Hampden, said she had not heard any confirmed reports of dogs being poisoned. But she cautioned pet owners to be careful.
"Make sure you supervise your pets," she said, "even when you have a fenced-in yard."Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun